Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A Visit From The Young Women

The 12 and 13 year old girls from church came over on a Tuesday night for a lesson in how to make bread. Their plan was to help me make the bread and then use it for the Sacrament that next Sunday. I had recently bought a hand grinder. Isn't it cute!
So before the girls arrived I ground enough wheat to make about 4 loaves of bread. The girl had no idea I had done this. I made a loaf ahead of time so that while they were making the other ones this one would be finished and they could sample it. To my surprise they loved it and there wasn't a crumb left. I had a batch in the bread mixer that was in the process of rising and then I had all the ingredients to make 2 more.

I showed them all the recipe and told them they would be grinding the wheat to make the bread. They were all excited until the realized that they were going to be doing it by hand. The each took a tern.


After they had all had a tern I brought out the wheat I had already ground and they were so relieved. Instead of putting all the ingredients in the bread maker I had them all mix the bread in a large bowl with my had mixer. After that we kneaded the dough and let it rise. They were not able to stay to bake it since it was already 8:30pm and they all had to be getting home. So I baked the bread after they left.

Before they left they all pitched in and did the dishes, and cleaned up our mess from making the bread.


It was so much fun to have them over and teach them something I truly enjoy doing. I hope they did too! Thanks Girls!

1 comment:

Lisa Love said...

Sounds like fun!! I bought the same grinder. Lizzy was so excited to use it until she tried it and can't even push it all the way around! I'll have to get your recipe for the bread. Way to go!!