Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Service With a Smile


I was reading a blog today and the blogger asked everyone who reads their blog to put an experience of service that they have either given or received. So since I Haven't posted anything in a while I thought I would post about an act of service that touched my heart.

It was about 3 years ago and I was struggling with many mundane things in life. One in particular was: I had just had my 2ND child and I was struggling with not getting enough sleep and a little postpartum depression. My baby slept just fine but I was the one waking up tired and worn out each morning. Now I don't want you to think I am complaining, but I was struggling each day just to get out of bed. A few ladies church (the Relief Society presidency) got wind of my struggles and decided to pass around a sign up sheet to have a few women take turns coming over to my house twice a week and helping me out. The job description was to entertain my 2 year old and 4 month old so I could get some rest or at least try. There were some days that I was able to get some rest. Other days I would just lay there and cry.

Not only did they take care of my 2 children they also found the time to clean my house and do my dishes. These women had no Idea the difference they were making in my life. I would come out of my room and find 2 sleeping children and a clean house. They would put my kids in their beds and tell me to go back to sleep. I thanked them for all they did and they would be on their way.

I know have 3 children and try my best to do what the Lord would have me do and pay it forward. I do my best to go out of my way to help others in need. I learned a valuable lesson from these amazing women. I will always be in debt to them. They were truly on the Lords errand.

The blessings of service have blessed my life many times but this experience will remain with me all the days of my life. I am constantly looking for ways to serve others. Often I pray that I will be able to find a way to serve others in my daily life.

Now the challenge: Let me know of a service that someone did for you. Then post this one you blog for others to read and see what happens. We need a little more positive news in our lives.

No comments: